June 10, 2020
There are certain records that you should keep on hand for various reasons. However, in many situations, you don’t even realize that you need them and won’t realize that they are missing until you need them. That’s why it’s a good idea to be proactive!
What records should I keep on hand and why?
Wondering what types of records you should keep and why you might need them? Here is a list of essential documents that you should keep in a safe place.
- Medical Records: Medical records are essentially a history of your health over the years. They include everything from physicians’ notes and diagnoses, to diagnostic tests and images, lab results, and more. There are many reasons why you might need medical records, including if you move out of state, see a specialist, or want to build a family medical history.
- Divorce Papers: You might think you no longer need your divorce records once everything is finalized, but that isn’t true. From time to time you might need to refer to your settlement agreement or divorce decree. Also, if you get remarried, you will need to have your divorce decree when you apply for a new marriage license.
- Bankruptcy Filings: Bankruptcy cases are often handled in federal court, making these records much more difficult to obtain. You may need these records in the future, which is why you should keep them in a safe place.
- Birth Certificate: There are many reasons why you might need a copy of your birth certificate. This includes registering for school, applying for a passport or driver’s license, registering a child for school, applying for a marriage license, and more.
- Mortgage Agreements: Mortgage agreements contain the terms of your loan, including the amount, loan term, and payments. Mortgage documents are proof of what you owe or do not owe on your property so it is important to keep them safe.
- Tax Records: Legal records—including tax records—should be kept for at least seven years. If you have lost tax records and you need them, the IRS keeps copies of them but they are not available online.
What happens if I do not have these records on hand but I need them!
Let’s face it, oftentimes we lose track of documents that we don’t think are important. However, if you have lost any of the documents listed above, it is important to get certified copies of them right away. You never know when you will need these records or official documents in a pinch, which is why it’s a good idea to have them on hand just in case. Thankfully, if you cannot locate any of these documents, Certified Field Agents is here to help! We have over 27 years of experience with document retrieval services and will be happy to track down these records for you. From birth certificates and medical records to divorce papers and titles of ownership, we do it all! Give us a call today at 714-632-3480 if you need help locating copies of any of the documents listed above.
To learn more about the reliable and quality document retrieval services that we offer, visit us on the web at Certified Field Agents.